Ki Mizion Ma'aleh Sifrita Chava Rav Aviner עברית

The Yeshiva Building

The History of Yeshivat Torat Chaim during the riots and until the establishment of Yeshivat Ateret Yerushalayim in its quarters

בניין הישיבהYeshivat Ateret Yerushalayim is located in the historic building of Yeshivat Torat Chaim, which was established by Ha-Rav Yitzchak Winograd in 5646 (1886).  One of the most notable features of Yeshivat Torat Chaim was its location in a mixed area, inhabited by both Arabs and Jews, and on the "Via Dolorosa," which is holy to Christians.  The establishment of the Yeshiva angered the non-Jewish residents.  But just as we have seen in other places and times, the heavens aided in the building of the Yeshiva: The Russian Consul – who had persecuted the Jews in his own country - was commanded by the Czar to assist the Jews in building their Yeshiva, and to watch over its construction.

At its height, 300 students learned in Yeshivat Torat Chaim, and such notable Rabbinic leaders as Ha-Rav Tzvi Yehudah Kook, Ha-Rav Tzvi Pesach Frank, Jerusalem's Chief Rabbi and Ha-Rav Aryeh Levin.

The Yeshiva was badly damaged in the riots of 5680, 5681, 5689, 5694, etc…  In the year 5696, the Yeshiva moved to the new city of Jerusalem.  A righteous Arab took it upon himself to safeguard the building, its Torah Ark, bima, memorial plaques and library of approximately 3,000 books.  Yeshivat Torat Chaim was thus saved.  It was the only one of some 80 synagogues and yeshivot which was not destroyed by the Jordanians.

Immediately after the reunification of the city, the "Agudat Lochamei Yerushalayim" (Union of Fighters of Jerusalem) began to pray in the Yeshiva on Shabbat and holidays.  Yeshivat Ateret Yerushalayim began to use the building in 5743 (1983).