Ki Mizion Ma'aleh Sifrita Chava Rav Aviner

Rand House

Beit Rand serves as a secondary dormitory

This courtyard was purchased by Ha-Rav Menachem Mendel Rand in 5661 (1900).

Menachem Mendel Ha-Cohain Rand was a chasid of Sanz, who lived in city of Litovisk (Galicia) on the Polish border (at that time part of Russia). He was one of the city's leaders. He owned various properties in villages, which he rented out, as well as a milk factory. He was known throughout the city for his generosity, and was greatly respected in the Jewish community. He decided, nevertheless, to liquidate his business dealings in Galacia and involve himself with the mitzvot in Eretz Yisrael. He made aliyah in 5661 (1901) with his family to Tzefat, one of the four holy cities. After living in Tzefat, Mendel Rand decided to move to the center of the Jewish settlement in Eretz Yisrael Jerusalem. His family's move to Jerusalem was not easy (his wife was even motion-sick from the wagon ride!).

When he first arrived in Jerusalem, he lived in the modern neighborhood of Meah Shearim, outside of the Old City walls. He then settled in the Old City in the Warsaw Courtyard, at the end of "Rechov Ha-Yehudim." Mendel Rand bought more courtyards in the Old City, including the Rand courtyard on Ha-Gai Street, near the Cotton Market, on the border of the Moslem Quarter, where he and his family moved. Approximately 30 Jewish families lived in the courtyard, including well-known Rabbis, and needy families who were not changed rent. Rand, who was a cohain, chose this courtyard on account of its proximity to the Temple Mount. In the basement was the winery of the Shor family, with wine cisterns that reached to the Kotel. This house in the Rand courtyard was the closest Jewish home to the Temple Mount and it overlooked the resting place of the Temple. During the riots of 5689 (1929), the courtyard was plundered and burnt, causing the Jewish families to lose their houses and all of their possessions. Today, the Rand's trust manages the courtyard and rents out part of it as dormitories for Yeshivat Ateret Yerushalayim.

This building serves as the second largest dormitory of the Yeshiva, and houses approximately seventy students.